2011 AREVA Summer Apprenticeship Program
An exciting opportunity for rising High School Juniors, Seniors or Graduates with plans for continued education who are interested in the field of nuclear energy; Areva’s Summer Apprenticeship Program is now open for applicants.
Summer apprentices focus on Nuclear Services with a broad overview of other operations at AREVA including:
- Design Engineering
- Pump & Motor Services
- Refurbishment Facilities
- New Plants / Reactors
- Site Operations
- Project Management
Apprentices work with and are trained and mentored by the AREVA Operations and Engineering staff. Apprentices will:
- Learn Non-Destructive Examination (NDE) fundamentals
- Operate robotics and tooling machines
- Tour facilities and attend lectures
- Assist in checkout of systems and software
- Participate in engineering Design Review Boards
- Take a leadership role in the AREVA Summer Academy
- Must be a rising High School Junior, Senior, or Graduate with plans for continued education.
- Must be licensed to drive and have reliable transportation to and from facilities for duration of each workday.
- Must be available each workday for entire duration of contract period.
2011 Program Specifics:
- Program Information Presentation and Facility Tour (Mill Ridge Road) for candidate participants and parents on Thursday, March 31, 2011 from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Contract period: Monday, June 13th through Friday, August 5th (excluding Monday, July 4th through Friday, July 8th).
- Planned tour of Energy Explorium at McGuire Nuclear Station (operated by Duke Energy), Charlotte, NC – Date TBD
- Weekly schedule: 32 hours / week – Monday through Thursday (except final week which will be Monday through Friday)
- Daily schedule: 7:30 am until noon; one hour lunch; 1:00 pm until 4:30 pm.
- Pay rate: $7.50 per hour
- College credit: Six (6) credits through CVCC (IND 195: Work Based Learning) upon successful completion of the program.
2011 Application Process:
- Interested parties should attend the Program Info Presentation and Facility Tour @ 155 Mill Ridge Road – March 31, 2011 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm. Call (434) 832-3299 to make reservations.
- Applications (see application process forms) accepted beginning Monday April 4th and ending 4:00 pm on Wednesday, May 4th
- Participant selections made and notifications mailed by Friday, May 27th
For more details and required application materials- go to CVCC’s Nuclear Tech Initiative information for 2011.
For Teachers: See the many resources available on CVCC’s website related to this year’s Nuclear Tech Initiative.